You’ve likely had friends and family mention their travels to the Caribbean islands, sharing stories about basking in the sun and having a wonderful time. After personally hearing this more than once and as our trip to St. Lucia’s Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort came to a close, I understood why they loved it so much.
Tucked away in between the island’s two most iconic mountains – the Petite Piton and the Gros Piton – you’re welcomed by the dreamy Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort for a one of a kind luxurious experience. I have so many details to share about the resort but if you are looking for the following, Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort is for you.
- A mix of tropical rainforest and beach
- Exceptional customer service
- Diverse and delicious food and drinks
Did I catch your attention? I’ll share more about each point below along with some tips for the next time you visit St. Lucia!
A mix of ocean and tropical rainforest
Like I mentioned, Sugar Beach Viceroy is tucked in between the two Pitons and the location of both the resort and your room provides a uniquely tropical and beachy experience at the same time. Your room/villa/bungalow has either garden or ocean views and is perfectly made for relaxation!
Exceptional customer service.
The team at Sugar Beach Viceroy is truly one of a kind and takes customer service to a whole new level. They are the sweetest most helpful staff I have ever met and I am so lucky to have made new friends too. It was so cool to learn about the staff and their stories! You truly feel like they are genuinely happy to have you visiting their island and welcome you with nothing but smiles!
Diverse and delicious cuisine
There are multiple food options on the property at Sugar Beach Viceroy, perfect for any taste palette and dietary restriction. There is casual food on the beach, the best sushi I’ve ever had at Cane Bar, drinks and tapas at The Jalousie bar, and perfect beach side options at Bayside Restaurant, among others! (More of our favorite food items below!)
Bill and I stayed in a Luxury Villa (room 904!) and it was incredible. We had a living room area, master bedroom, a HUGE walk in shower, an outdoor shower surrounded by tropical greenery, and a huge private patio with a dipping pool, lounge chairs and a table + chairs covered by shade for those warm sunny days. It felt like we were removed from resort but at an arm’s distance at the same time! It was so convenient.
The location of Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort is perfect to get to local attractions for my adventurous friends! It’s only about a fifteen minute drive from the hotel to the Gros Piton and Sulphur Springs, 20-30 minutes to the Diamond Botanical Gardens and to the city of Soufriere! The hotel makes it easy to book different tours and experiences and their team helps you from beginning to end.
Things to Know During Your Stay at Sugar Beach Viceroy
The resort is a honeymooner’s dream! Sugar Beach has been voted the best destination for honeymooners by countless media outlets – Conde Nast Traveler, Travel+Leisure…. you name it! On that note, Bill and I were actually supposed to celebrate our marriage at the Sugar Beach Viceroy (read more about our story here) but because we rescheduled our wedding, we were making lemonade out of lemons and went for vacation! It really is perfect for any kind of vacation whether it’s with your significant other, a mother daughter trip, babymoon, or a family vacation with your young ones! I would definitely go back again…maybe for our babymoon?!
You receive a private cellphone that’s used to communicate with your assigned butler. Our butler (and friend) Felicia was so helpful making us dinner reservations, calling us a car, and ensuring our stay was perfect from beginning to end.
Complimentary cars + drivers are on the property to help you get to where you would like to go. Since the island was created from volcanic eruptions, it means lots and lots of steep hills! That of which are VERY hard to walk up and down. You can call your butler at any time to call a car to take you to wherever you need to go. Beach? No problem. Back to your villa for a nap? Of course! Off to your dinner reservation? You got it!
You do not need to pay with credit card on property! Sugar Beach makes it easy by charging everything to your room so you never have to hassle with payment each time you are grabbing a drink/bite! You receive a receipt at the end of your stay which you then pay with your credit card!
Our favorite things to eat, drink and experience!
FOOD + DRINK
- Spinach and garlic pizza with spicy sauce. If you like spicy, this sauce is SO GOOD and so hot.
- Bill’s favorite drinks: Pina Colada and Piton beers
- My favorite drinks: Basil mojito, Watermelon martini, Viceroy spritz
BREAKFAST AT THE TERRACE
- Breakfast is served daily from 7-10:30 AM and we didn’t have something we didn’t like! Bill and I loved the eggs Benedict (salmon for Bill and spinach for me!), along with their crispy bacon (Bill HIGHLY recommends!), smoothies, iced coffee, and banana pancakes.
- We also loved their continental breakfast which had fresh baked banana bread every morning, fresh muffins that were a new flavor every day (grab 2 of the oat, coconut and walnut muffins because they are so good!), coconut yogurt, and an assortment of fruits and cereal
SUSHI AT CANE BAR
- The signature sushi rolls at Cane Bar were amazing but we also tried their spicy tuna and avocado rolls and went back for 3+ more orders because they were so good! They aren’t on the menu but the team will make them upon request!
BOOPA’S – GRAB AND GO
- Croissants from Boopa’s. I am not sure what they put in the croissants that make them so good but their plain croissant is life changing!
- Bill loved the Jerk Chicken and my Cauliflower steak was UNREAL. Their watermelon martini is also delicious (you don’t taste any alcohol which makes them dangerous!!)
- I also loved their crab cakes!
- Make sure to attend their Friday BBQ night too! There is so much food to choose from (shrimp skewers were our favorite) and live music!
THE JALOUSIE BAR
- Grab a Piton beer or an espresso martini – both are SO good!
THE GREAT ROOM
- A luxurious dining experience on property! Recommend the Mahi Mahi and the lobster Mac ‘n cheese.
Things to Do at Sugar Beach Resort
- Book a couple’s massage at the Rainforest Spa: Bill and I experienced our first couple’s massage together and it was truly magical! We booked the Renaissance massage which was full body for 50 minutes. We also enjoyed a lunch after our massage right on the deck of our TREE HOUSE massage room! Can you tell I was super excited about this?! It was so beautiful and an experience we will never forget!
- TIP! You can request either a tree house massage experience or a couple’s massage with a private pool. They only have one massage room that has a private pool so book it in advance! Both are absolutely lovely.
- Take a casual stroll through the resort’s Rainforest Walk: *There are stairs* on the walk but it’s a lovely leisurely walk. You feel like you are walking through the forest with nothing else around you when it’s right on property!
- Beach Day! If you weren’t convinced by our pool side eats above, you can sit in a shaded or uncovered lounge chair steps away from the water! The beach also has ocean lounge floats that can fit ~4 guests. Perfect for taking a dip and lounging in the Caribbean Sea!
- Snorkeling: Bill went snorkeling twice because he loved it so much! Snorkeling is complimentary through the hotel and it’s located near Bayside Grill at the pier.
- Take a walk to the resort’s residences and houses: If you walk along the beach, you will find another beach that is open to guests for walking and a pier with lounge chairs and lounging nets! *Note only drinks are served on the pier, not food!
- Workout at the Gym: We loved that the gym was walkable from our villa and it was never too crowded! It has everything you would need for any kind of workout with lots of room! The property also has tennis courts and private lessons available if you are interested!
Things to do in St. Lucia
- Hike the Gros Piton: Like I mentioned earlier, the hotel will help you book your excursions but Bill and I are both so glad we hiked the Gros Piton. We will say, it is HARD and at times you are climbing up rocks and it is very steep, but we are so glad we did it and made it to the top! It took about 2.5 hours up and 2 hours down – one of the most rewarding things we have ever done hands down!
- Diamond Botanical Gardens: The botanical gardens are about a 25 minute drive from the hotel and the overall tour is about 45 minutes. There are so many flowers and trees to learn about along with a dipping pool and waterfall!
- Book a catamaran cruise! Bill and I experienced a 4 hour sunset cruise on a private catamaran and it was the highlight of our trip! We had so much fun dancing, relaxing and exploring the western coast of St. Lucia.
- Other attractions that were recommended but we did not try:
- Zip lining
- Deep sea fishing
- Superman Falls: A moderate hike that is mostly downhill and only about 30 minutes to get to the waterfall! You can swim in the falls too!!
- Sulphur Springs: Hate to say it but Bill and I did not go to the Sulphur Springs but we will say it was the most popular attraction shared among locals! The Sulphur Springs experience is known to be great for skin!
COVID Guidelines (as of May 2021)
Traveling to St. Lucia
- You are able to enter St. Lucia with a negative PCR test within 5 days of your departure date. Bill and I went to the Walgreen’s Drive Through and received our results back in about 24 hours.
- You must submit your travel request and travel itinerary HERE which is to be reviewed and approved by St. Lucia’s tourism team. You also need to upload your COVID results once you receive!
- Note: St. Lucia’s team is working around the clock to review and approve travel applications and you might get approval to travel less than 24 hours before your flight! Don’t fret! Check the status of your application regularly and PRINT OFF your authorization form once it’s approved!
- You must also get a rapid test 2-3 days before returning to the states! Sugar Beach has complimentary tests on sites performed by a designated doctor.
COVID Safety at Sugar Beach Viceroy
Sugar Beach Viceroy has done an exceptional job at making the resort as safe and enjoyable at the same time with COVID. All team members follow all safety protocols as well as guests!
- You are required to wear a mask at all times except when seated.
- Whenever you take a car or taxi, you are always required to wear a mask! You are also greeted by a team member with a quick and easy hand sanitizer spritz before entering the vehicle!
- All staff members are required to wear a mask, receive COVID tests regularly and are following all sanitization protocols.
- Your butler performs daily temperature checks before you leave your room each morning.
More photos from our trip!
This post was in collaboration with Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort. All thoughts and opinions are my own.